The moment the wedding date is finalized, the bride/ groom should book an appointment with a dermatologist. If they have problem skin ie acne or pigmentation or dull skin, they should ideally seek a dermatologist’s opinion 6 months in advance.
It takes 3 to 4 months for acne to resolve, it can take 6 to 8 months for the blemishes and pits that occur due to acne to heal. Pigmentation again takes 6 to 8 months with the help of peels and lasers.If there are no skin problems and you just want to look resplendent on your big day,visit the dermatologist 3 months in advance in order to understand what skin care products and cosmetics to buy for the big day such that you don’t end up with pimples, break outs or rash. A dermatologist will also examine your skin and customize treatments in order to prevent adverse effects on your skin. Treatments at a skin clinic are done under extreme hygienic conditions. They are more scientific, safe and results last longer. The concentration of peels or meso cocktails available are much higher at a clinic, hence results are better.
The safest treatments they can do are:
1. Fruit peels and whitening peels : Thesehelp remove blemishes and superficial acne scars. They give the skin an even skin tone. They are also used as anti-ageing treatments, because the peel solution stimulates collagen, thus reducing and preventing fine lines and wrinkles. 6- 8 sessions , each session 2 weeks apart
2. Skin polishing or microdermabrasion : A safe, quick, convenient and effective treatment for all skin colours and types. It can be done on any skin area in need of exfoliation such as face, neck, the back of your hands, legs, and chest. It removes dead cells resulting in smooth and radiant skin. Once a month for 3 to 4 sessions
3. Oxygen therapy with mesotherapy : The skin is refreshed with an oxygen jet, which delivers concentrated oxygen with pressure on the skin, due to which penetration is enhanced and the skin’s metabolic processes stimulated. This is followed by the application of a skin brightening solution (a cocktail of vitamins, micronutrients, amino acids, and antioxidants) on the face. the end result is a rejuvenated and smooth look with reduction in fine lines and open pores. This procedure can be repeated every 15 days for 6 sessions
4. Photorejuvenation : Popularly known as laser facial or photofacial. In this treatment, the Nd YAG laser or the fractional erbium glass laser or IPL (intense pulse light) is used for giving the skin an instant glow, as well as tightening and closing of open pores. It also improves skin texture through collagen stimulation.You can get this treatment a week before the occasion, but it is important to get it done only by a qualified and trained professional. I would recommend that you do a photofacial at least a month before the Big day to make sure it suits your skin. You can then repeat it just before your wedding.
5. Fillers : Dermal fillers are safe and are almost magical in the effectiveness. If you have tired looking sunken eyes and your face looks haggard due to it, it is better to get hyaluronic acid fillers about 2 months before your big day. It will take off the haggard look and make you look fresh even if you are exhausted by the end of the day’s work !! But make sure only a well trained dermatologist or plastic surgeon does it. – just one session
One must remember the dos and don’ts when choosing dermatology treatments for best results and no side effects.
After mesotherapy , oxygen jet peel, PRP for face or facials , one should avoid sun exposure, use an oil free sunscreen with SPF 30 about 20 mins before you step out in the sun.
Care after peels, photofacial and lasers
|Use mild gentle neutral pH facial cleansers like sebamed olive wash or cetaphil cleansing lotion|
|Do not step out without a sunscreen. Reapply the sunscreen every 2 to 3 hours if outdoors.|
|Use moisturisers regularly.|
|Avoid picking or removing the skin which peels after a peel procedure, that is if you have undergone a peel wherein the skin peels. In such cases, let the skin peel on its own.|
|Avoid using anti acne creams or skin lightening creams for 5 days after a skin treatment|
|Avoid bleaching , waxing , threading at least 2 weeks after a peel or laser.|
|Avoid scrubs, loofahs, swimming, steam, sauna, retinoid based creams at least for a week after a peel or laser.|
For more, read Dr Jaishree’s book “Skin Rules” published by Penguin and available online and at leading book stores.