Treatments that one can take to make the skin glow before D Day :
1. Fruit peels and Whitening peels
Done to remove blemishes and superficial acne scars & also to give an even skin tone. Also done for anti ageing since the peel solution stimulates collagen thus reduces and prevents fine lines & wrinkles.
2. Skin polishing also known a microdermabrasion
Microdermabrasion is safe, quick, convenient and proven effective for all skin colors and types, from light to dark, dry to oily. This age-defying process can give a brighter, smoother appearance to any skin area in need of exfoliation such as face, neck, hands back, legs and chest.
3. Vitamin Mesoglow therapy
It involves the micro-injection of a specially prepared mixture of vitamins, amino acids, and medications in the dermis (just millimeters under the skin) within a problematic area. This treatment modality is used for rejuvenation of skin, dark circles, fine lines and wrinkles or for just a party glow.
Here we use Nd Yag laser for instant glow of skin, tightening and closing of open pores. Our patients generally go for this procedure immediately before a function such as a party or marriage.
5. Laser hair removal
Get smooth radiant skin. Get rid of unwanted hair & ingrowths… go for a laser treatment, either a Long
Pulsed Diode or Long Pulsed Nd Yag laser or LHR are safe hair removing lasers for Indian skin.
Do lines appear around your eyes & on your nose when you smile? Do these lines make you conscious because they make you look much older than your age? Relax, You can take tiny shots of botox. Botox is a natural, purified protein that relaxes wrinkle-causing muscles & creates a more youthful appearance. It is extremely safe & US FDA approved. The results are best seen 7-10 days after injection & last for about 4-6 months. Botox is given in children for cerebral palsy. Hence, age is no bar.
Do you have a broad or a square jaw? Do you want a chiselled jaw like the all new Kareena look? Botox is the answer. It isn’t painful, however the result takes 4-6 weeks to show. So take it well in advance before the wedding.
Want high cheek bones, plump lips, a sharper nose without surgery? It is possible in an hour. Dermal fillers are safe & can do magic. The filler substance is injected beneath the surface of the skin whereby it plumps the desired area.
Q. When is the right time to begin the skin care ritual ?
Depending on the condition of the skin (tone, texture, acne prone skin, pigmented skin), the skin care should begin at least 3 months in advance. If the skin is pigmented or there is acne, a six month treatment is required before the big day.
Q. What advice would you give to brides who haven’t had the time to begin the beauty schedule well in advance ?
- Healthy low salt, low calorie, protein rich diet.
- 6-8 hrs of sleep everyday.
- Avoid sun exposure, use an oil free sunscreen with SPF 30 about 20 mins before you step out in the sun.
- Go for mild alpha hydroxy peels (lactic, arginine or kojic peels) once in a fortnight for a glowing skin.
- One or two sessions of skin polishing will clear the dead skin, dirt, grime & remove the tan.
Q. How much in advance can a laser treatment be undertaken ?
A hair removal laser treatment should be started at least 8 months in advance to remain hair free on the wedding day. One usually needs 6-8 sessions of laser once in 4-6 weeks in order to get rid of unwanted hair. Photorejuvenation of skin with laser can be done about 2 weeks before the wedding to get a glowing refreshed skin.
Q. What should be avoided days before the wedding ?
- If you have oily or acne prone skin, avoid facials and massage. This can stimulate sebaceous glands, clog pores and cause whiteheads and blackheads right on the day of the wedding. Alternative: Skin polishing or laser photorejuvenation.
- Avoid bleaching just before the wedding. Do a trial at least 8 weeks before the wedding. If it suits you, you could repeat it just a week before wedding.
- Avoid waxing, threading, plucking if you are prone to ingrowths. Go for laser hair removal instead.
- Avoid having salt, chocolates, caffeinated drinks, sweets, butter, fried food at least a month before the big day. Instead have colored fruits, lot of water, tender coconut water, butter milk in order to fight the free radicles, prevent water retention & puffiness as well as have a youthful glowing skin.
- Avoid sun exposure. Shopping etc should be preferably done after 5 pm or apply a finger tip unit of sunscreen with SPF 30 every time you step out in the sun. Reapply the sunscreen if you are out for more than 3 hours as the effect of the sunscreen wears away.
- Avoid make up products which are more than 6 months old and products which belong to unknown companies. You never know, you may develop a rash.
- Avoid crash dieting. Your Hemoglobin will drop down & so will your protein level.This will cause hair fall, brittle nails & dull dehydrated skin. So eat healthy in small portions every two hours, exercise 5 times a week.
Q. Should a bride experiment with new treatments for scars/spots weeks before the wedding ?
All experiments to be done at least 5-6 weeks before the wedding so that in case of any untoward reaction, the problem can be treated & the skin back to normal.
Q. What can one do if you get boils/pimples a day before the main function ?
Apply a gel containing clindamycin & adapalene on the pimple. Use a face wash containing salicylic acid to remove the dead cells & clear the pores. If too bad, take a course of azithromycin 500mg for 3 days. Alternately, your dermatologist may give you an anti inflammatory shot into the pimple to get rid of it in 12 hours.
Tips for the men
- Cleansing with a mild face wash twice a day.
- Apply a sunscreen 20 mins before stepping out, even in a car because UVA can easily penetrate glass.
- Dont forget to wear a helmet if on a two wheeler, not just for protection but to prevent from UV rays, dust & pollution.
- Avoid smoking & drinking. Smoking will cause fine lines, wrinkles & pigmentation while alcohol will cause baggy eyes.
- Healthy balanced diet, exercise, 6-8 hours of sleep is a must. Apply an antibacterial cream such as mupirocin before & after shaving to prevent boils & ingrowths. Use an oil free moisturiser at bedtime.