We all know that stress causes heart diseases , typically heart attacks but how many
of us know that stress can be detrimental for the skin and hair too ?
Let us find out more about the stress and skin co-relation
1. How does stress affect our skin?
- Dark circles and baggy eyes.
- Dry, dehydrated skin.
- Reduces skin immunity, thus making it more susceptible to infections and
allergies causing itching, redness, hives, etc.
- Exacerbates existing skin problems such as psoriasis, eczemas, rosacea, and
- Increases oil production leading to acne.
- Releases free radicals in the skin resulting early wrinkles and fine lines and wrinkles
- Causes hair loss
2. What products must a stress busting kit have? Any particular creams or lotions
and the ingredients it must have.
- Thermal water mist to refresh a tired face, pure minerals in water help to detox the
- Cucumber and mint hand creams to hydrate the skin and give a fresh feeling
Sunscreen and moisturizer
- Calamine or aloe vera lotion to soothe the skin
3. What are the foods that you must include in your diet so that its effects don't
show on your skin? Can any of them be applied on our face as well?
- Almonds, walnuts are rich in vitamin E, an antioxidant that bolsters the immune
system. Almonds also contain B vitamins, which may help your body hold up during
seriously unpleasant events
- Science backs up the old warm-milk remedy for insomnia and restlessness. Calcium
can reduce muscle spasms and soothe tension
- Citrus fruits rich in vitamin C are known to fight free radicals and release stress
- Spinach is packed with magnesium, which helps regulate your body's level of
cortisol, which tends to get depleted when we're under pressure.
- Go on a detox diet, plenty of water, tender coconut water, fresh fruits, salads,
yogurt, no oil or sugar, no salt. No tobacco, nicotine or alcohol
- Mashed Oranges & papayas with a tsf of honey form an excellent mask for stressed,
dull, pigmented and oily skin.
- Almond paste, yogurt or milk cream can be applied on dry skin to brighten the skin.
4. Are there any home remedies or exercises that can beat stress?
- Exercise improves blood flow and muscle tone throughout your body and helps
normalise blood sugar and hormone levels which are altered due to stress. Half an
hour of cardio daily in the form of jogging, skipping , zumba, treadmill, any form of
dance or even swimming are big stress busters. Yoga is another great way to
- Make a paste of 1/2 teaspoon turmeric and 1 teaspoon plain yogurt. Apply, then let
dry 10 minutes. Rinse with a warm, damp washcloth and remove any residual
turmeric with a gentle toner. The turmeric reduces inflammation, while the yogurt
kills blemish-causing bacteria & brightens the skin leaving you fresh and clean
5. Are there any other interesting ways to beat stress?
- I would also recommend taking 30 mins off for yourself, lie down in a cool dark
room, put on some soothing music, cover your eyes with cucumber slices which are
cooling and learn to enjoy the music and relax.
- You can also take a short 24 hour trip to your nearest hill station or beach .
- I love to put on some good music and go on a long drive on the outskirts of Mumbai
when I am too stressed
- Pamper your skin with a good body massage at a good spa.
- Get a nice pedicure/manicure