It is that time of the year when every one is out to look good and feel good. From cleaning the house or offices to shopping to amaking delicious goodies, the festivity is contagious.
People also want to have a radiant and glowing skin during this festival of lights , after all it is the time when card parties and meeting friends & relatives is on the cards everywhere.
Before you go ahead with exotic treatment, remember some basic tips to take care of your skin.
Firstly , moisturise and hydrate your skin. Nothing saps the skin of its lustre like dryness. The sudden change of season and drop of atmospheric humidity experienced in this month can shrivel up your skin. Use a water-based moisturiser frequently and drink plenty of water to hydrate your skin.
Secondly, limit your intake of sweets It may seem like wet blanket advice during the season, but at least keep consumption under control. If you overdose on sugary and fried goodies, in a few days it’ll start showing on your face –breakouts, dull skin, weight gain, not to mention allergies thanks to the artificial colouring and flavouring that goes into mass-produced sweetmeats.
Thirdly, protect your skin from firecrackers. Most firecrackers have high smoke emissions due to high magnesium and cordite content. These fumes and particulate emissions can settle on your skin and harm it, causing irritant reactions, chemical burns and allergies. Stay at least six to seven feet away from lit fireworks. If you have sensitive skin, it’s a good idea to tie a cotton scarf or dupatta over your face while lighting or watching a fireworks display. Most importantly, wash your face thoroughly with a mild soap and water immediately afterwards and follow up with a moisturiser.
If you have oily or acne prone skin, avoid facials and massage. This can stimulate sebaceous glands, clog pores and cause whiteheads and blackheads right on the day of the festival. Alternative: Skin polishing or laser photorejuvenation.
Avoid bleaching just before an event. Do a trial at least 8 weeks before the festival. If it suits you, you could repeat it just a week before. Avoid waxing, threading, plucking if you are prone to ingrowths. Go for laser hair removal instead.
Avoid sun exposure. Shopping etc should be preferably done after 5 pm or apply a finger tip unit of sunscreen with SPF 30 every time you step out in the sun. Reapply the sunscreen if you are out for more than 3 hours as the effect of the sunscreen wears away.
One can also opt for various skin rejuvenation treatments such as:
Oxygen Therapy with Mesoporation:
All our body cells need oxygen to sustain life and vitality of function. Oxygen therapy is based on this principle. Here the skin is refreshed with an oxygen jet, this delivers concentrated oxygen with pressure on the skin, helping remove dead and dull cells from the surface of the skin and leaving the skin fresh. It is like spraying the skin with a magic elixir of life. This is followed by application of vitamins & hyaluronic acid to the skin , causing penetration into the deeper layers of the skin with a mesoporation device. This device helps open channels in the skin through which the absorption of the vitamins would be enhanced. This leaves the skin rejuvenated and youthful.
PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) or the vampire face lift is a relatively new therapy with the dermatologist. It is so called because one’s own blood is taken and after separation of different constituents, red cells from the plasma, are reinjected into the skin. This plasma is rich in platelets and it contains growth factors which stimulate skin regeneration. As a result, skin regains vitality and becomes more smooth and elastic. There is improvement in skin colour and best of all, its all natural without any risk of allergic reactions. Sessions are repeated at an interval of 4 weeks for three sessions.
Chemical Peels :
Chemical peeling is application of a solution/gel on the treatment area for a particular time period. It is an office procedure. It does not require any hospitalization. After properly studying the skin type and its sensitivity, the dermatologist decides on the type of peeling agent and their concentration. The skin is first cleansed . The peeling agent is then applied gently onto the lesion or on the full face till the ‘end point’ is achieved. During or shortly after the procedure, the patient might experience warmth or stinging sensation for a few minutes. the procedure can be repeated after 2- 3 weeks.
History of Peels :
Cleopatra used sour milk (lactic acid) &French women used fermented wine (tartaric acid) to look fairer.
1. Glycolic Acid peel – It is an Alpha hydroxy peel .it is derived from sugarcane extract. It is done to remove blemishes and superficial acne scars.also to giv an even skin tone. it is also used as an anti aging peel since it stimulates collagen thus reduces and prevents fine lines & wrinkles.
2. Lactic Acid peel – AHA from fermented milk Helps maintain skin pH and also useful in adjusting the pH of formulations. Moisturizes skin as is the skin’s own natural moisturizer Done in those people who have acne or pigmentation but have a sensitive skin
3. Arginine peel derived from Brown sugar used to treat dark circles
4. Kojic Acid peel produced by mushrooms of family Aspergillus and Penicillium Glow peel Reduces blemishes & pigmentation
5. Beta Hydroxy peel – salicylic acid peel done for acne ( whiteheads & blackheads) .
6. Obagi Blue peel – Trichloroacetic acid peel : should be done with extreme caution by a dermatologist.done to reduce pigmentation & fine lines.
7. Cosmelan peel is a whitening peel. to be done by a professional
8. Yellow peel – Vitamin A peel done for skin lightening and brightening.
9. Black peel – Excellent for acne which doesn’t respond to conventional medical treatments
10. Nomelan peel – Done to treat increased pigmentation
Advantages of Peel :
- Safe office procedure
- Easy availability
- Easy to use
- Compliments the drug therapy & brings about faster
- therapeutic effect thus reducing the downtime to treatment
- Excellent cosmetic results
Antiageing treatments one can opt for :
- Botox injection to erase lines and wrinkles around the eyes , forehead and neck.
- Filler injections to recontour the face, volumise the cheeks, lips, chin , hands and to reduce sunken eye appearance, laugh lines and folds around mouth.
- Non surgical radiofrequency skin tightening called Dermalift or Exilis to tighten sagging skin.
Whatever you decide to do, remember to be happy. The most important elixir of glowing skin is happiness. Leave ego, jealousy, stress, negativity aside and be positive and happy from within. Stay safe and have a happy Diwali.